Employee Benefit Plan Audits
Miller Cooper’s Employee Benefit Plan Audit Group is one of the leading providers of audit services to benefit plan sponsors. As you make your decision on a benefit plan audit provider, consider some important reasons why Miller Cooper is the best choice:
- We audit 135+ benefit plans annually, making us one of only approximately 80 firms in the U.S. that audit in excess of 100 benefit plans per year. Our audited plans range in size from 100 – 10,000 participants.
- More than 25 professional staff members are dedicated to the Employee Benefit Plan Group. Each member averages 10 hours of CPE each year dedicated to employee benefit plan audit quality and process.
- Miller Cooper is a member of the AICPA’s Audit Quality Center for Employee Benefit Plans, which requires additional Peer Review procedures for benefit plan audits. Additionally, we have undergone a Department of Labor (DOL) inspection and we receive a Peer Review every three years.
- Our quality review is performed by a Principal solely dedicated to technical matters and quality review.
The DOL has begun to increase scrutiny of benefit plan audits by firms that conduct less than five plan audits annually. When significant audit deficiencies are discovered, plan sponsors will be held responsible and face fines of up to $50,000 per required filing. Miller Cooper’s plan audits meet and exceed GAAS standards. Our audit approach includes:
- Documentation of internal controls
- Evaluation of SAS 70 reports to determine key controls
- Testing financial information
- Participant testing including eligibility and data testing, participant contribution and allocation testing, participant loan testing, distribution testing and compliance and timeliness of contribution remittance
Preparation of Financial Statements and Management Letters
Review of Form 5500
In addition to benefit plan audit services, Miller Cooper offers a unique set of services through our Retirement Plan Administration and Consulting Group, Alliance Pension Consultants.